lake champlain overview

Professional Diving Instruction, Gear and Adventure

Lake Champlain
Underwater Historic Preserve System

Seasonal registration required. Please be sure to register at area dive shops, local charter captains, the Burlington Community Boat House, Westport Marina (NY) or at the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum. Or you can now register online here.

Wreck site marked by Yellow mooring Buoy.

PhoenixBurlington BayCoal BargeDiamond IslandChamplain II
Vermont Underwater Preserve
WRECK
image indicates available sidescan image
LOCATION
click link for chart
LAT
LON
DEPTH FFW COMMENTS
Phoenix North Face of Colchester Shoal 44 33.3'
73 20.1'
60 to 110 146' x 27' 1814 sidewheel steamer, sunk 1819 burned to the waterline, only hull remains.
Read history...
Horse Powered Ferry
Burlington Bay - 1100 meters NW of North Point of Breakwater 44 29.1'
73 14.6'
45 63' x 23', very fragile wreck, only known example of horse driven (turntable) ferry.
Read history...
OJ Walker
Burlington Bay 44 28.7'
73 14.4'
60 Mostly intact.
Read history...
General Butler
Burlington Harbor Breakwater - South Edge, West Side 44 28.3'
73 13.7'
40 88' x 14' 1862 sailing canal boat - sunk 1876, mostly intact.
Read history...
Coal Barge
North of Proctor Shoal (off Shelburne Pt) 44 27.2'
73 14.7'
60 to 80 90' x 14' 1800's canal barge, presumed to be the A.R. Noyes. Silty bottom.
Read history...
Sloop Island Canal Boat
 
mile north of Sloop Island 44 18/78
73 18.492'
90 97' long, 17 ' wide standard canal boat, cargo coal. Name unknown est sinking 1915.
Read history...
Stone Boat Southeast of Diamond Island 44 14.1
73 20.0'
12 to 23 93' x 14'. Canal boat carrying quarried stone. Currents may be strong.
Read history...
Water Witch 1000 ft south of Diamond Island 44 13.93'
73 20.13'
90 83' x 18'. Steamboat converted to sail. Built 1832 sank April 26 1866 while carrying iron ore. Currents may be strong.
Read history...
New York Underwater Preserve
Champlain II Westport - North of Rock Harbor 44 12.36'
73 22.58'
15 to 35 258' x 35' 1868 sidewheel steamer originally named the Oakes Ames - renamed 1874 - ran aground 1875. Approx 160 ft of the hull remains, mostly debris.
Read history...


© Copyright 2010-2014 Waterfront Diving Center    |    Sonar images courtesy of Garry Kozak / Klein Associates
Graphic Design & Website Design by Off the Page Creations